Monday, November 10, 2008

Let's All Remember...

"Cindy has been generous enough to open up her blog to this discussion. I want to encourage everyone to use kind words, even when we disagree, and to be respectful of each other.

“Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” Proverbs 12:18

Let us all remember that everyone who takes time to be part of this discussion does so because we care about the well-being of the children."

Thank you to Peggy for stating that, it couldn't have been said any better and was something I was planning on addressing this morning after reading a couple of comments posted.

Let me make this as clear as I can...

This is my personal blog, this is not a public forum in the sense that a Yahoo Group or any other online discussion group is. Therefore, my rules reign, like it or not. I am MORE than happy to hold this discussion here and think it is important and valuable, and within my own writing have tried to see both sides of the issue and be as respectful as possible to dissenters. I don't mock someone when I disagree with them, I merely point out why I disagree and try my best to back it up as I can. That stated, I am not always right...but this is a family blog about my perceptions on adoption and not intended at all to be taken by anyone as the Gospel on Adoption. Lord knows I would never put myself in that category. The fact is that quite clearly I agree with many of the points made in the article, and I think that is obvious from my comments...but I tend not to want to throw the "baby out with the bathwater" when it comes to the entire subject of international adoption.

All of that having been said, this dialogue will ONLY continue on my blog if everyone can be respectful of one anothers diverse opinions. I have thus far been very, very impressed with the thoughtful, articulate responses to all of this...and I also want Mr. or Ms. Anonymous to have their say as well in rebuttal, as that is what open communication is about. HOWEVER, Mr. or Ms. Anonymous, I will say this only once...I am giving you the opportunity to respond, but if your responses continue to have the disrespectful tone that they currently have I will not post your comments, and I reiterate that I truly want to post your side of the debate.

Kindness in all things, folks, even in disagreement. That's all I ask. Passion is NOT an excuse for rudeness, mocking, or disrespect. If you feel strongly enough about a subject to want to debate it, then find the right way to get your message across, as I hope I am doing myself in my blog posts...and if someone finds me doing otherwise I encourage you to "call me" on it, because that is not my intent.

Thanks so much to all of you for participating, for voicing your thoughts, and most of all for your incredibly honest and opening up your hearts in ways that have never been done on this blog before by all of you.

No comments: