Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pity Party is Cancelled!

Hahaha! I reread my post from yesterday and WOWZA was that awful!! I am laughing now as I had a great nights sleep, woke up refreshed and ready to face a new day, and generaly embarassed at my lousy attitude the day before. Thank goodness I am not generally one who wallows too much, that sure doesn't feel very good!

I also had a special little surprise in the mailbox today that really helped lift me up. I have an Adoption Angel, someone who has offered me encouragement and words of wisdom just when I needed it most this past year. I will not name her here as I try to keep people's privacy, but she has "been there, done that" and really seems to understand exactly where I am coming from most of the time.

She sent me a card and a Guideposts magazine with an article in it on Karen Kingsbury, the Christian author, whom I had no idea had adopted 3 sons from Haiti. What a neat story! I laughed when I put it down because what struck me as funny was that as I read it, what kept going through my mind was "How cool! What an awesome thing for someone to do..."...as if we hadn't done the very same thing ourselves! Hahahaha! Don't know how to explain it, but maybe it is that when I hear about others who adopt internationally I have an enormous amount of respect for them, for the difficulties and challenges involved, and yet I somehow see our experiences as "normal" for us, nothing exceptional at all. It's just the way we have kids and I don't look at it with the eyes of an outsider, for me it was all part of a days work. When I finished the article on Mrs. Kingsbury, I appreciated the honesty she expressed in saying that adopting the boys was not without it's challenges, but that it was worth it. Maybe that is exactly what I needed to be reminded of after yesterday.

So once again, my Adoption Angel helped me see things from a new perspective, reminding me of what it is all about. Thank you, it was JUST what I needed to get myself back on the right track.

I am also happy to report that Kenny is back on the right track. His teachers all said "Thank You" for whatever we did because his behavior today was much improved. Dominick actually took time off work and showed up at school to make sure he was settling down, which completely took Kenny by surprise. I was going to go but Dominick said "Let's knock him off balance a bit and have me show up, he won't expect that and he also needs to know this is both of us, not just you, that is working on the discipline.". So my knight in shining armor went off to school and thankfully, Kenny had decided to change his behavior even before Daddy got there but it no doubt reinforced things when he showed up. He also went and visited Matthew's classroom, who surprisingly still loves having us there and was quite happy to have Daddy suddenly appear.

So we end another day, mom and Kenny with their "attitude readjustment" complete. The Pity Party is cancelled due to lack of interest!

No comments: